Group bookings only
12 – 17 year olds
Available year-round excluding July and August
Our year-round school is in Leith, an area like no other. Just over a mile from the city centre and Princes Street but with its own distinct character, Leith is a hub of lively cafes and restaurants, creativity, community events and cultural diversity.
Resting on the shores of the Firth of Forth and having served as Edinburgh’s port for hundreds of years, the original harbour has welcomed many travelling kings and queens, including Mary Queen of Scots and King George IV.
Today, Leith is a vivacious area jam-packed with delicious delis, cool drinking spots and top restaurants boasting some of Scotland’s finest chefs. Its eclectic mix of people and cultures make each visit a unique experience.
Our four-storey school building boasts a large common room, modern facilities, superfast WiFi and a garden to the front with picnic benches. The area around the school is mainly residential and our building overlooks the lovely green space of Leith Links, which we frequently use for games and activities.
Our off-season programmes are available throughout the year (excluding July and August) and allow you to design packages for your clients based on their exact needs. You first take the ‘basic programme’ below then add activities and excursions from our Pick ’n’ Mix Menu as desired – please email us at [email protected] for a copy of the menu. This gives you control over the budget and provides total flexibility. The standard tuition in this programme is general English but we can change it as required and at no extra cost. Just tell us what you want and our team will put something together for you.
Included in every programme free of charge, ‘Get to Know Edinburgh’ is an interactive orientation activity with iPads and is a Mackenzie School exclusive!
More often than not it’s the activity programme that leaves our students with long-lasting memories of their time at Mackenzie School. Combined with language tasks, team-building games and challenges, our activities not only provide students with a platform to learn about the UK but also boost their self-confidence and motivation, and help them to make friends.
Prices include student hand-outs and language tasks, iPads (when required), knowledgeable activity leaders, entrance fees (where required) and taxis home after organised evening activities.
The standard tuition in the Pick ‘n’ Mix Study Trip programme is general English but we can change it as required and at no extra cost. Just tell us what you want and our team will put something together for you. Go on, be adventurous!
The ‘basic programme’ price includes:
- 15 hours of lessons per week including teaching materials
- Shared room home-stay accommodation for students (single bed or bunk bed),
singles for leaders (half-board during the week, full-board at the weekends)
- Return airport transfer from/to Edinburgh and ‘meet & greet’ service
- Packed lunches prepared on the school premises Monday to Friday
- Interactive ‘Get to Know Edinburgh’ activity
- Use of all facilities (school open until 22:00 every night, including weekends)
- Written report and certificate on completion of course
- One free group leader for every twelve students
- Welcome pack
Unique Selling Points
- Dedicated year-round school facilities
- Experienced full-time team
- Fantastically located in vibrant Leith and close to the city centre
- In-house accommodation team
- Interactive, communicative lessons
- Pick & Mix excursions and activity programme
We consider a fun and varied activity programme an important part of the student experience. It not only provides a fun platform to learn about Edinburgh and Scotland but also encourages language learning outside of the classroom.
At Mackenzie School of English, we offer a fantastic range of activities that will support and improve your students’ language skills. We combine cultural visits and language tasks with team building games and challenges to keep learning entertaining and fun.
We are continually looking for ways to improve on what we do and in 2016 we were very excited to work with an award winning app development company to develop our very own range of engaging GPS challenges played on iPad minis. These challenges are designed to engage, entertain and inspire students whilst using the most up to date technology.
Forget the traditional city tour as we provide students with iPad minis for certain cultural visits and activities. They will love the opportunity to take part in one of our bespoke challenges featuring a variety of interesting questions and trivia along with fun photo and video tasks to provide lasting memories. We are proud to say that we are the only school in the UK using this technology at the moment and so far the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.
• Risk assessments conducted for all activities
• Students briefed before every activity
• Staff/student ratio of 1:20
• Staff are first aid trained, carry first aid kits and are aware of any student allergies/medical information
• Police checks carried out on all-staff prior to employment
• Highly reputable coach companies used (as required)
• Taxis home to hosts after organised evening activities